Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Peter Walker Live(s)


Last night, me and my cousin, Mitch (whom I hadn't seen in 10 years) hung out. I took a cab to Echo Park to have dinner with him and after much catching up, we went to this place called the Echoplex to watch 60's folk guitarist Peter Walker play a set. Of course, we all know who Peter Walker is, right? Riiiiiight. Well, I had only read his name before in articles about Robbie Basho, John Fahey, and the like. And then I saw he was playing here in Los Angeles, so I downloaded a copy of Rainy Day Raga. And guess what? It's my new favorite album. Very droney, very melodic and very hippie-dippie. Just like I like my 60's music. 

As for Peter Walker now, he's quite the character. Not only does he still kick out the raga jams, but he's also gotten way into flamenco guitar, which he says he studied in Spain for an extended period in the early 2000's. Sounds like a nice way to age into obscure folk guitar badass status. 

No comments: