Tuesday, July 29, 2008

My First Earthquake!

I feel so southern Californian now: just about 10 minutes ago, a magnitude 5.8 earthquake hit here in Los Angeles. And it was fucking amazing. 

Christin and I were just sitting here in Los Feliz at this little coffee shop called Psychobabble–both of us on our respective laptops–when all of a sudden, everything started undulating beneath us like we were on an amusement park ride. At first, we just looked up from our cyber cocoons, startled and wide-eyed. Then, Mother Earth gave out a really big tremor, and that's when half the coffee shop quickly got up and walked outside. True to their city, the other half of  jaded Angelenos in the place just sat there, unfazed. 

The whole thing probably only lasted about 8 seconds. But I was ready for disaster. I was looking around the street, wondering when we'd start seeing buildings cave in and whatnot. Fortunately, nothing like that happened. But just in case, I noticed I had my mug of coffee in my hand. 

Because you always need a ceramic mug in these situations.   

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Benny!

I finally found my way to your weblog compliments of one Gerard Babitts. So lovely to be able to get a regular fix of your great writing and crazy-ass perspective again. Hope y'all are well. Looking forward to your posts. LA should give you PLENTY of material.

I want the story on the Heidi Fleiss photo? You kind of left us in the dark on context for that one.

i'm at TBS now, eBlasting old clips of Everybody Loves Raymond all over the webosphere.

love and miss you!
mel keane